BAT Careers - Home
Apply for job
Save to basket
Assistant Company Secretary
Job purpose and key deliverables
A key member of the Company Secretarial Department assuming secretarial and administrative responsibility for a portfolio of active UK subsidiary companies and tax resident entities, with minimal involvement in p.l.c. work.
• Providing an efficient and effective secretarial and administrative service to an active portfolio of UK subsidiaries and tax resident entities, preparing agendas, attending meetings and drafting minutes.
• Dealing with all secretarial matters relating to the portfolio companies’ share capital and shareholding structures. This includes documenting the dividend flows from the UK subsidiary companies to British American Tobacco p.l.c. (approx. £1bn per annum), providing secretarial input to the Tax department with regard to appropriate corporate restructurings, advising on the correct corporate law procedures for reductions of capital etc. including reductions of share premium and arranging board approval in respect of each type of transaction.
• Liaising with and advising the Regions regarding the administration of branch and representative offices of UK subsidiary companies operating overseas, including reviewing legal powers of attorney and proxies, and dealing directly with the external notaries to arrange specific notarisations and legalisations to meet overseas corporate law requirements as necessary. Reviewing the corporate governance arrangements with regard to branch offices to ensure alignment with the Group Corporate Governance Framework and best practice principles.
• Assisting the Company Secretarial team with significant corporate projects, conducting due diligence with reference to corporate records and liaising with end market lawyers, appointing liquidators and assisting with liquidations and balance sheet simplification.
• Sole responsibility for dealing with external advisors/service providers, including lawyers, accountants and registrars as required with regard to the portfolio.
• Assisting with the year end accounting processes, including Relevant Audit Information, reviewing statutory accounts and arranging for their approval and filing, liaising with BASS Europe Accounting, auditors, and the Group Chief Accountant on the UK Group company financials.
• Keeping abreast of company secretarial best practice in company law and governance, proposing, implementing and communicating change as necessary within the Company Secretarial team.
Context / Environment
The job holder reports to the Senior Counsel, Compliance and is a key member of the Company Secretarial Department responsible for ensuring UK and Group-level compliance with all Companies Acts and regulatory formalities for a Top 10 FTSE 100 UK listed Group.
The job holder is expected to deal effectively with colleagues at all levels, including directors and senior managers, both in the UK and Group-wide.
• ICSA Qualified with solid secretarial experience, gained in the UK.
• Good technical knowledge of company secretarial practice.
• Strong written and oral communication skills and a high level of IT literacy are important in the company secretarial component of the role.
• High attention to detail with excellent organisational skills.
• High level of integrity and personal standards of behaviour in keeping with the professional environment of the Group Head Office.
• Self-motivated, pro-active and always looking to contribute to the department’s overall objectives.
• Flexible attitude, able to cope with unexpected and varied demands.
• Good corporate governance and efficient administrative processes embedded within the UK Group subsidiaries.
• Providing the high quality, pro-active secretarial support to top-end holding and financing companies within the UK Group.
• Team player.
Working at BAT
British American Tobacco
is all about freedom of choice — whether it’s our people or our products. Combined with our entrepreneurial spirit, it’s what’s driven our phenomenal success. We started trading tobacco over a hundred years ago. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar company with more than 200 brands in our portfolio. With robust positions in each of our regional markets, our future looks equally bright too.
There’s no doubt our industry is controversial — we’re the first to admit that. But rest assured, we take a responsible approach to our trade. In each of our markets, we observe every local law regarding tobacco (in many cases going further through our own voluntary code). Not only that, we treat our farmers fairly, invest in the environment and help to sustain local communities.
We also excel at developing our own people into leaders of the future. As a firm with a high-performance culture, we’ll expect a lot from you. But we’ll support you every step of the way to help you deliver. If you’re passionate and ambitious, rapid career progression is a reality here. And because we’re such a large firm (we employ more than 55,000 people worldwide), there are plenty of exciting opportunities for you to develop a truly extraordinary career.
British-American Tobacco (Holdings) Ltd
Apply for job
Save to basket
Conditions of use