British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for a Legal Counsel UEMOA Markets to join our team in Abidjan.
As a manager within the function, you will:
- contribute towards planning and shaping the Legal functional strategy and policies to meet the needs of BAT’s West Africa Area business.
- drive implementation of functional Legal strategy and initiatives across UEMOA MArkets and ensure proactive and timely delivery of legal services to BAT’s operations within its zone.
In addition, the role is responsible to ensure provision of effective company secretarial services to BAT Mali, TMC Senegal, TMC Ivory Coast, TMC Burkina, BAT Benin and BAT Niger with emphasis on compliance to corporate governance principles.
- Ensure implementation of the function strategies and initiatives across UEMOA and sharing key learning and knowledge and coordinating implementation of legal activities across both clusters.
- Monitor and interpret the legislation environment in which the business operates within UEMOA markets to ensure the business understands and meets its legal obligations as laid out in statutes and regulations in addition to various compliance procedures required under any Capital Markets Authorities, Stock Exchanges and Trading Blocks as well as Retirement Benefit Authorities as relevant.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the WAM legal strategy as well as the Area legal strategy.
- Take responsibility for the implementation of the agreed management strategy of any litigation instituted by or against the business within UEMOA Markets and ensure cost effective management of External Counsel across clusters.
- To draft negotiate and review contractual documentation emanating from the business and develop as appropriate standard formats to optimise efficiencies within the Legal Function
- To manage and supervise the provision of proactive legal services for commercial and corporate activities within UEMOA markets through internal legal resources, in-house Counsel and as appropriate specialist external legal support.
- In conjunction with BATMARK facilitate and manage trade mark registration and renewals and trade mark related activities affecting any of the brands so as to optimise the Groups potential to exploit the insignia which represent its brands and minimise opportunities for competitor encroachment by using similar insignia.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of regulatory issues and the illicit trade problem and provide legal advice on an operational and strategic level.
- Advise the business on and be actively involved in changes or proposed changes in the legal corporate structures of any operations in UEMOA Markets.
- Manage the dissemination of functional projects and initiatives through the clusters and ensure that the legal requirements are understood and met.
- To assess, monitor and anticipate potential threats to the business such as competitor’s activities, systems/structures failures etc. to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Continually seek ways to optimise and improve systems and work process to drive efficiency and reduce costs.
- Support the WAM head of LEX toward powerful and effective communication to the organization on the relevance and strategic business importance of the legal team and the area of responsibility of this role.
- Ensure that the Corporate Governance strategy and principles (eg Standards of Business Conduct, agreement policy etc) are understood and applied across UEMMOA Markets to minimize the company’s exposure to risks whilst ensuring proper balance between controls, monitoring and the companys activities.
- Build good working relationship with Area Legal team for reporting purposes and to assist with policy decisions as appropriate
- Build and maintain good relationships with experts in the legal field.
- To liaise with External Affairs Managers of UEMOA markets in coordinating legal aspects of regulatory affairs and public statements, in order to advance and protect the Company’s strategic imperatives on consumer and marketing freedoms and in respect to sensitive issues for the Company and its business
- To attend the DRM meetings of UEMOA markets and have direct responsibility for the provision of legal service and support to these markets
- To identify potential synergies within Clusters in terms of legal activities and work with WAM Head of LEX to ensure exchange of information on common issues.