We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for two Patent Attorneys to join our Patents team, based at either our global headquarters in London or at our global R&D facility in Southampton. The Patents team handles BAT Group’s extensive portfolio of patents and design registrations working closely with our UK partner patent firms as well as about sixty foreign firms of lawyers/agents.
The two Patent Attorney roles are to support the Combustibles business unit and the Next Generation Product business unit, respectively, within BAT.
As a Patent Attorney, you will provide the company with global, comprehensive, business-relevant advice on intellectual property (IP) relating to BAT Group’s technological innovations, including how best to protect BAT Group’s technical innovations in key markets, as well as advising on issues relating to infringement, validity and licensing. BAT operates in a wide range of technology areas including inter alia plant biotechnology, high speed manufacturing processes & machinery, cigarette and filter product technology, packaging, and next generation products including tobacco heating products, and nicotine products such as electronic cigarettes. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right attorneys to develop their core skills in a fast-moving commercial environment.
To advise and support the business on the development and production of innovative, high quality products in an exciting and fast-moving industry. The attorney will work closely with key parts of the business to harvest new inventions and track third party IP, as well as managing an existing portfolio of patent and design cases.
Core activities will include:
• assessment of submissions received from the business, arranging for drafting and filing of applications for patents and designs to meet the required legal standards and to obtain an optimum degree of protection;
• provision of solution-orientated legal advice on questions relating to patent management, infringement and validity, conflicts and disputes with third parties;
• instruction of external patent firms on issues relating to filing, prosecution, validity, legal opinions and management of the foreign patent and designs portfolio;
• provision of advice on the IP content of confidentiality agreements, development agreements, licences and other contracts;
• engaging proactively with business teams across the NGP business to ensure that IP issues are identified, understood and dealt with effectively in the best interests of the BAT Group.