We are seeking two part or fully-qualified patent attorneys to work in London or Southampton!
Picture yourself working in one of the largest companies in the world. You are at the forefront of a transforming industry and this role will challenge you like no other. Our mission is to provide our consumers with a range of outstanding, innovative reduced risk products from which they can choose. Put simply: more choice, more innovation, less risk.
We have invested $2.5bn over the last six years in the commercialisation and development of potentially reduced-risk cigarette alternatives and our commitment to the future is larger still.
British American Tobacco’s patents team has never been busier and is currently expanding with an exciting and challenging opportunity for two Patent Attorneys to join our team, based at either our global headquarters in London or at our R&D facility in Southampton. As a Patent Attorney, you will provide the company with global, business-relevant advice on how best to protect our technical innovations in key markets, as well as advising on issues relating to infringement, validity and licensing. The work of the Patents team spans a wide range of technology areas including electronics and chemical formulations, novel heating technologies and inhaled delivery mechanisms, all in support of our potentially reduced-risk cigarette alternatives including electronic cigarettes, plant biotechnology, high speed manufacturing processes & machinery, and cigarette and filter product technology. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right attorneys to develop their skills in a fast-moving commercial environment.
Core activities will include:
- working alongside R&D teams to identify inventions and develop bespoke filing strategies to optimise patent protection;
- provision of solution-orientated legal advice on questions relating to patent management, infringement and validity, conflicts and disputes with third parties;
- instruction of external patent firms on issues relating to filing, prosecution, validity, legal opinions and management of the foreign patent and designs portfolio;
- provision of advice on the IP content of confidentiality agreements, development agreements, licenses and other contracts;
- engaging proactively with business teams to ensure that IP issues are identified, understood and dealt with effectively in the best interests of the BAT Group.